Like other German shepherd breeds, the black German shepherd also has double coat skin with a double layer.
The black German shepherd with a double coat has a fluffy undercoat and a rough outercoat. The outercoat is thick, while the undercoat is soft. Their body is less hairy than their neck. The hair coat can be of two types.
- Straight and soft
Black German shepherd double coat types
1. Black German shepherd having Short hair with an undercoat
It is a short-haired black German shepherd. This short hair German shepherd double coat can adjust to the extreme weather condition due to his short hair. The short hair, along with the undercoat, provides them with extra heat in winters.
2. Black German shepherd having medium hair with an undercoat
This coat is having longer hair than a black German shepherd double coat with small fur. This type of black German shepherd double coat has a silky and long skin than short hairier BGSD. The coat’s length is 1 to 2 inches, which helps keep their body warm in cold weather.
3. Black German shepherd having long hair with an undercoat
Many black German shepherds double coats also have long hair than other types of skin. They have more substantial, longer, and a cluster of hair around the tail, ears, and leg other than short and medium hair BGSD.
This coat length is almost 2 inches. Due to the long coat, they have more stamina than different black German shepherd double coat types.
4. Black German shepherd having long hair without an undercoat
Another type of black German shepherd is long hairier BGSD without an undercoat. It means they have a single coat. Their outer layer is not rough like a Black German Shepherd double coat. Its coat length is more than 2 inches that is a little more than a long hairier black German shepherd double coat.
Their temperament and stamina are also good, and they can do everything for which you train them. They can’t keep themselves warm because of the absence of an undercoat, so they can’t survive in cold areas.
What is a Black German shepherd long coat?
You know the black German shepherd, but there are some BGSD that have long hair. That’s why they are called black German shepherd long coat. The BGSD having small hair is called black German shepherd short skin or stock coat.
Single Coats vs Double Coats—What’s the Difference?
In terms of coat, dogs are of two types, the single doated dogs and double-coated dogs. Double coated dogs are those who are having two layers of hair on the body. Here the question comes to mind second coat is beneficial?.
Yes, a double jacket serves as a protector for dogs in harsh winter weather. Moreover, double coat fur is also dust and another harmful particle resistant.
Doubles coated dogs must have an undercoat. This insulating coat is working as an insulator during the winter season. Moreover, this double coat is not only suitable for the winter season. They are performing guarding work in every weather.
In contrast to this, the single-coated dog has only one coat of coat to secure the dog from harsh or severe weather conditions. Thus, they breed found in the region where the effect of weather is moderate and toleratable.
Appearance and structure of black German shepherd long coat
The appearance and construction of a black German shepherd long coat and stock coat are the same. The undercoat is present in both types of black German shepherd, but the topcoat of a black German shepherd long coat is longer than a stock coat BGSD.
The black German shepherd long coat contains long, silky, and dense hair on the chest, back, tail, neck, and backside of its legs. These long coat BGSD look very handsome and stunning with their shiny hair.
The temperament of black German shepherd long coat
A black German shepherd’s long coat is the same as other German shepherd breeds.
- They are famous as loving, caring, and friendly dog. Due to these qualities, they prove themselves the right partner. They are very loyal, and this characteristic makes them excellent house dog like others.
- The black German shepherd long coat also takes time to get friendly with an unknown person like other German shepherds.
- The black German shepherd long coat is more peace-loving than a typical German shepherd.
- Like other breeds, the black German shepherd long coat also requires exercise and walk for health.
The health of a black German shepherd long coat
The black German shepherd long coat faces the same health issues as other breeds of GSD.
- Some health issues especially regarded as skeleton inherited from their father or mother; these are called genetic diseases.
- The developed health problem is those issues that are not related to genes. These problems result from rash breeding procedures, carelessness in hygiene, and inappropriate diet — for example, eye issues, digestive issues, and skin diseases.
Care of black German shepherd long coat
They also require the same care as an ordinary German shepherd, even sometimes more than those. These long coat BGSD need more cleanliness due to their long hair. The time of their bath is also more than a stock coat black German shepherd.
German shepherd black jacket
A crucial question arises in our minds; does a German shepherd need a black coat in the cold weather?
German shepherd stock coat
A German shepherd with small hair has a topcoat and a soft undercoat. Due to a double coating, they keep themselves warm even in cold weather. This double coat plays the role of insulation material, so they don’t need a black jacket.
German shepherd long coat
Some German shepherds have long hair. They also contain a top coat and an undercoat. This double coat gives them an advantage and keeps them warm. This kind of German shepherds can live in cold areas and adjust themselves to climatic conditions. 
German shepherd long coat but without undercoat
- Marrow Bones for Dogs | How to Cook
- Homemade Dog Food Recipes for Skin Allergies
- Home Remedies For a Sick Dog Not Eating | What To Give a Dog For Upset Stomach and Vomiting